Thursday, January 21, 2010

I finally did it, I tore the $hi% out of this thing!

Well, I did it. I have accomplished a feat 230,000 other Americans complete annually. It is a monumental task for those who seek masochistic satisfaction. I have tried on numerous occasions to completely cross this river, and with a heart filled with joy, I can finally say "I AM VICTORIOUS!" Ladies and gentleman. I have ruptured my right Achilles tendon.

What this means to me is beyond words. Almost 4 years ago, while trying to dunk a basketball, I came down on someone's ankle. I suffered a medium ankle sprain, and developed bursitis and tendonitis in both Achilles. While being treated, a doctor explained that the hardened scar tissue that may form due to the tendonitis may increase my chances for complete rupture (a diagnosis my current surgeon vehemently disagrees with) For the last 4 years its been a question of when and how I would tear it rather than an "if". I never stopped being active. I run, jump, spar, grapple anytime I get the opportunity, but always with some trepidation about what could happen "back there." Anytime I would feel a sharp pain, or increased soreness, I would wonder "Hmmm, is this it? Have I torn it?" I got pretty sick of wondering and became more and more irritated about it! I really wanted it to tear the damn thing and get over it!

Fast forward, 4 years later, I am playing basketball (See a pattern. I have also broken my hand playing basketball... at a volleyball tournament, GO FIGURE!), I grab a rebound in a small crowd and someone comes down on the back of my heel/calf while it was fully flexed. POP! I knew it, at that very moment I had no ability to stand or walk. The cliche statements about people feeling like they have been shot in the back of the leg...Yep THAT WAS ME! I crawled off the court. People kept asking "Are you OK?", I replied with a big smile "absolutely not!". I am not sure if the smile threw them off, but they all smiled back and didn't say much else. This included gym staff, who instead of offering assistance just smiled and said, "I hope you feel better." IDIOTS!

Anyway, so I am now a keyboard warrior, posting the exciting times of an official gimp. I will post pics, tell stories of rehab pain, and bore you with stories of my never ending boredom. It should be a fun ride, I have to ride at least 4 planes to Virginia and back, travel across Indiana and Illinois by car, go lead 160 troops, and not get divorced. GOOD LUCK TO ME!

1 comment:

  1. Well at least it seems I will get a kick out of reading about your misery and boredom. I will pray for Nikki as I am sure having a husband in pain and as a "patient" is a huge task, haha....hope you are on your feet quickly! Miss you guys! We need to get up for a visit!
    leslie and matt

    ReplyDelete