Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What is Battle Assembly Like as an Injured Company Commander? Part 2

So after all the questions had passed, the logistical question of how the "F" I was supposed to get around all weekend was in front of me. Especially since the unit would be conducted basically mounted movement to conduct convoys in the woods. I decided to get a van, a driver (Morrison, you rocked!) and essentially hop through the snow, ice and slush in order to...

1. Act as observer on the lanes
2. Escort Battalion visitors around
3. Provide AAR comments on the lanes

The only thing I would redo on Saturday was the fact that most of my unit bedded down at around midnight. It sucked to be us that night.

Sunday afternoon started with a shower. This shower has cost me in so many ways, I care not to discuss it in much detail now, but I will talk about my Achilles setback later. Anyway, on the way to the shower, which is a 30 second hop from my office, I lost my underwear. I did not notice that I had lost said drawers until I got out of the shower. Butt-ass naked, I desperately searched for this damn pair of Ralph Lauren boxers until CW3 Dietrich walked into the bathroom. I looked over and said "Chief, I think I lost my underwear". His reply "Thats what those were", he leaves the bathroom, and returns with lost underoo's. He then jokes later that he bet the reason I am alive today is that no father of any girl I have ever dated has ever walked in on me naked and looking for my underwear. I concur! This story has no literal significance, but metaphorically it shows how the unit "picks up for" their injured Commander. HOOAH!

Sunday was pretty cool because I got to do three awesome things. I got to promote previously mentioned CW3 Dietrich to CW4 twice, and re-enlist one of my most dedicated NCO's, SSG Brown. Yes, I promoted Chief twice, yep, sure did. I would do it again if I have too, I would promote him every damn day if possible, he has been a mentor for me for a long time now, and I appreciate what he has done in his military career. Btw, It was pretty priceless to see me crutch to formation, promote someone and hop away. Only in the ARMY! All in all, it was a great weekend, except for one thing... To BE CONTINUED!

No comments:

Post a Comment